Since 3rd period was cancelled today (my professor went to a conference), I could have taken the subway home and had lunch, but decided to stay and eat with my two new friends, Eunjung and Eunnarae. Eunnarae is the other girl in my Pre-Modern class; I mentioned her last week- the 2nd year at UCLA. Anyway, she's one of those girls with a really overpowering, strong (?) personality, so I don't feel as comfortable around her. She's funny and friendly and all, but she seems like one of those girls who you don't want to get on the bad side of. Okay I'm making her sound like a thug, but she's so not! She's nice, but I still like Eunjung 10x better ^^
I studied/facebooked in the library for a couple hours since the shuttle back to the hotel comes after 3rd and I didn't feel like walking 30 minutes to the subway station in the 80% humidity (literally- I checked the weather online to quote that stat. You have to use effort to BREATHE, the air is so thick). At home, I chatted with Glory and Dianne, who both don't have 4th periods either, for a couple of hours instead of reading. We girl talked about high school memories and first kisses and prom drama ^0^ I felt old talking about high school like it was a long time ago. The mandoo's (dumplings) I cooked up for us didn't satisfy our hunger so we tried to order chicken, but since it was dinner time I guess the chicken place was busy because we literally called every 15 minutes for an hour and kept getting the recording. Finally we were so hungry we left the hotel to hunt down our chicken. As we were hunting, we saw this man in the telephone wires:

We went to T.O. [Take Out] Chicken & Hof and had delicious fried chicken and yangnyum chicken (it's basically the same thing covered in this delicious sauce).

Here's a better angle:

It looks really red and spicy but it's not at all. Well, you can get it hot but we are babies. It also comes with moo, sweet radish.

The crackers at the top are anju (stuff you eat with alcohol, i.e. nuts, chips) which come out with everything on the menu, since because it's a hof everybody pretty much orders beer with their chicken. We didn't though. Here's a better view of the anju:

The chicken also looks like really not that much, but the three of us ate to the point of uncomfortableness... >< man that is never good. I felt so stupid after. Oh yea! Grand total? $10 babay~ Hof=beer place. Not like a shady place or bar or anything, just a place to eat that mainly serves beer and food that goes well with beer. There are a whole bunch of those in Korea, and especially where we live because it's a business district so the business men fill up those joints every night after work. The waiter man was so cute and gave us lollipop candies as we were leaving ^^

Maybe it's because we are so cute and fobby like this:


BARF! Haha just kidding ^^ Too bad I don't have the photos of Glory and Dianne with crackers in their nostrils on my camera -.- I'll have to edit this post with those pictures later xD
A few hours later, my friends Danny and Sam called me up to eat so that kinda sucked because they have been literally calling almost every night to grab dinner but I always already ate. It's not my fault; they eat late and plus they never say "well how about tomorrow then?" they just call again the next day and I already ate again because I didn't expect them to call again. I love friendly and outgoing people who proactively try to be my friend! I would say I'm a pretty friendly person myself, but I'm too insecure to call up people I don't really know that well yet just like that. I just think to myself "wow that person's so cool, I wish I could be his/her friend." Well, maybe I'm just being stupid and they're just being friendly because they feel like that's what they ought to do. Ah! You're probably so confused! OK, so on the first day, EAP took the students out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant after the orientation, and I kinda got separated from my friends due to odd table numbers and got seated with them. I briefly mentioned it on the post titled "Pictures!" but I would be really impressed if anyone remembers because it was such an insignificant mention. Anyway, during dinner I found out that they just graduated from Riverside and are spending summer and fall in Korea (just like me!), but they were placed on the waiting list for housing. Thing is, they didn't even know that until they got here and tried to check into I-House! Yonsei or EAP didn't even help them out so they were living out of shady motels since they're Chinese so they don't have any relatives here and can't speak any Korean. I felt really bad for them, but I didn't know what I could do to help, honestly. A couple days later though, I happened to overhear that there were some other guys on the waitlist trying to get a room in S-House, where I'm staying (it's different from the on-campus dormitory), but didn't have enough people to get placed in a suite. I called Sam up and told them about it and gave them my advisor's number, and now they're living here! I guess they feel pretty grateful to me, except I really didn't do anything but make one phone call. Anyway, they're both very tall and cute so whatever their motives are- I'm happy! ^^
Oh yea anyway since I already ate they asked me to come over and help them make instant jjajangmyun (it's similar to ramen, but has a dark sauce and not spicy) because they had messed it up the night before. I felt shy about going over alone so I brought Melody, my roomie. Don't worry! It's not weird because they know Melody too- I've introduced them before and Sam is in a group project with her in one of their classes so he even came over last night to work on it. I hope they didn't think I was weird though because I didn't mention to them that I was bringing her... anyway I brought the rest of the bag of mandoo's from earlier and also some danmooji (yellow pickled radish- it's a side dish) packed ghetto-ly in a cup, and cooked them a fabulous dinner of instant products hehehe ^^;; I also helped them study their Korean vocab, which was so funny. I guess I never realized before that it is actually a difficult language to pronounce, but it was tough and fun trying to teach them all the different sounds and how to shape your mouth and everything. I think it would be a lot of fun being a language teacher ^^
1 comment:
OMG Angela i cracked myself up reading this post. You are so blunt puahahahah!!! 너 그사람들이 이거 읽으면 어쩌려고~ 하하하 암튼 내일 post 으를 기대 하마~ ㅋㅋㅋ
Post a Comment